Best Home Remedies for Vertigo
The feeling of dizziness and spinning sensations can be very overwhelming if you have got vertigo. This can limit your activities and can make you feel really sick.
But at the same time, depending on your cause, the steps taken to maneuver through vertigo at home can help you a lot.
The most common type of this condition is BPPV (benign paroxysmal positions vertigo). It happens when small crystals of calcium get loose in the inner ear. You are most likely to feel it when you go to bed or are getting out of your bed. It also can occur when you tilt your head up.
People that are above the age of 60 are very likely to get BBPV. The best neurosurgeon in Pakistan says it is also the easiest type of vertigo to treat.
So, if you want to treat your vertigo at home, it is very important for you to know the type, so that you can decide on what needs to be done.
Let’s have a look at what can be done.
Brandt Daroff Exercise
This is one of the most recommended exercises for people with vertigo to be done at home. It is one of the best ones that can be done unsupervised. It must be kept in mind that you should not be doing Brandt Daroff Exercise unless you are in a safe place and will not be driving for a while. As it might provoke dizziness for a short period of time.
Here are the steps:
- You can start it by sitting on a flat surface, with your legs dangling as they do when you sit on a hair.
- Turn your head as far as you can to the left side, then lay your head and your torso down on your right side. Your legs should not move. Stay in this position for at least 30 seconds.
- Sit up again and turn your head back to the center.
- Repeat the exercise on the opposite side by turning your head as far as you can to the right side, then laying down on the left side.
It is a very easy exercise that you can do in a set of 5 repetitions and repeat as often as 3 times a day and twice a week.
Epley Maneuver, also known as the “Canalith” repositioning maneuver is the first go-to strategy for people experiencing vertigo. Research says that Epley Maneuver is extremely effective for people with BPPV. This can be performed at home by following a simple procedure.
- Start with sitting upright on a flat surface, with a pillow behind you and with your legs outstretched.
- Turn your head 45 degrees to the right
- With your head still tilted, recline your head on the pillow. Stay there for at least 30 seconds.
- Slowly turn your head to the left side without lifting your neck – a full of 90 degrees.
- Try and engage your whole body, turn it to the left so that you are completely on the left side.
- Slowly return to your original position, sitting straight and looking forward.
For Epley Maneuver, you might need someone to support you or help you do the steps properly. It can be treated three times in a row, and you might feel dizzy during each movement.
Semont-Toupet Maneuver is a very similar set of movements that you can perform at home to treat vertigo. The maneuver is very less-known but some studies claim that it is just as effective.
The Semont-Toupet Maneuver is very similar to Epley Maneuver but it requires less neck flexibility.
Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Start by sitting straight on a flat surface with a pillow behind you and with your legs outstretched.
- Lie down after, turn to your right, and look to your left side, looking upward.
- Sit up quickly and turn your left keeping your head facing to the left. You will now be looking down toward the ground.
- Return to your original position, looking forward and sitting up straight.
Gingko Biloba has been studied and observed for its great effects on vertigo and found to be as effective as a leading prescription medication to treat vertigo.
Giniko extract can be purchased in liquid or capsule form. Taking 240 milligrams of ginkgo extract if taken every day should lessen your vertigo symptoms. This can make you feel more on balance.
Give this a try and make yourself feel better from the pain of vertigo.
Vertigo is one such condition, that can make your life difficult. So, in order to treat it, it is best to try different exercises at home. If these work for you, then it’s great. And if they don’t, then you must visit the best doctor near you to get yourself treated.